Tuesday, April 10, 2012

"A Simple Question Attached"


Somewhere inside of me there is a space wanting and waiting to be filled. Perhaps it is in my soul, perhaps it is in my intellect, perhaps it is in both. The space has a longing in it to "press in and go deeper" so that I may "know" and "feel" without reservation or dispute, the true way to worship God. The need to fill in this space inside of me, which I see as a "simple question attached to my innermost being" has now led me to consider the teachings of the Orthodox Church.

So, here I go......

Just a mere 8 days ago I discovered on "facebook" (yes, facebook, the Lord uses all things for good, you know!) that a friend of mine (Jim) was reading the "Orthodox Study Bible". So I messaged him and asked him for a review of the study Bible. Jim attends a church that I used to attend (The Church of the Nazarene) before I joined my current church, The Church of Grace and Peace. Quite a different setting between these two churches, but, both are Christ centered. Jim replied, and I was amazed by his review and some of the comments he included in his message. Amazed, in the sense that most of his comments sounded like I had made them, it seemed to me, that we were both "exploring" the same simple question, well at least in my mind it did, guess I should not speak for Jim! But, it was very clear to see that he was considering the Orthodox Church as well and had been at it for some time now. In fact Jim has written about his own journey involving the Orthodox Church and you can find it here: http://orthodoxyorbust.blogspot.com/

For the last 6 or 7 years I had been "exploring" Celtic Christianity by reading many books on it and visiting "official Celtic Christianity web sites and forums" while attending my current church which many would label as a "Charismatic Church". There is of course quite a difference here between the two, but I sought out the value in each. I don't believe I have yet made the connection to get the answer to my "simple question" in either, so I now make a new consideration, that being Orthodoxy.

"The Orthodox Church" by Timothy Ware


So since imitation is the sincerest form of flattery (yes it is Jim!) I have created this blog to become my shared journal, of my journey of exploration, into Orthodoxy. I have in the last 8 days read many articles, visited many web sites, and read a few chapters in the books I have on the History of the Christian Church as they pertain to the Eastern Orthodox Church. Yesterday my wife Judy and I spent sometime driving around the "Shore" to take advantage of seeing the beautiful display of color that the Spring season brings about in God's flowers and trees. We stopped off at Barnes and Noble, where I bought  two books.
"The Orthodox Church" by Timothy Ware (shown above) and "The Philokalia" by St. Nikodimos (shown below). I have also ordered the "Orthodox Study Bible" online from Amazon and expect delivery very soon.




I have begun reading the first book, "The Orthodox Church" and I am very impressed and fascinated by what I have read so far, already several beliefs that I had about the Orthodox Church have been corrected, along with a complete reversal in my opinions on some very important doctrines, WOW! it is amazing what a little education can do!!! I cannot wait to read more!

I am also planning on attending Vespers at the Orthodox Church that Jim has attended (thank you Jim for agreeing to let me tag along!) on an upcoming Saturday.

So where is this all going to lead, can't say as of yet, BUT, I will be posting my journey here, so please continue to visit.


14 comments:

  1. Fantastic!
    I had started my blog because I tend to become lazy and forgetful about my internal life. By Blogging about my journey towards Orthodoxy, it made me pay attention. I do it for my own benefit but I am happy to say that I have made friends through the blog who have helped me on my journey.

    Here are some more links that may be helpful
    http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/highdesert/celtic_christianity_part_1

    The above is part one of a twelve part series on Celtic Christianity. The Celts had a very robust faith!

    Another podcast that has changed my life is "our Life in Christ", also from Ancient Faith Radio which is a series of teachings that talks about Orthodoxy. Here is the first episode:
    http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/ourlife/brokeness_and_restoration
    There are 145 episodes in this series and I have listened to them all! The show offers are free New Testament but just ignore that because the show is archived and they ran out of New Testaments!

    Basically, anything from Ancient Faith Radio will be helpful on your journey.
    http://ancientfaith.com/

    I look forward to worshiping with you at Vespers!

    ...Yes, it helps that you have a beard...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that writing about something like this helps me to organize my thoughts and get a clearer understanding. I mean after all, if I can't write a reasonable explanation about what I am seeing, hearing and feeling, then I need to focus and "press in" some more. I am totally "amped" about sitting down and talking with you, can't wait. Thanks for the info on Ancient Faith Radio, I checked them out about 2 days ago, but have much more to listen too!

      God Bless!

      Delete
    2. Great! looking forward to it!

      Delete
  2. Hello! Jim recommended this site on a forum and I decided to stop by and check it out. So far it looks good. I pray that you will find how fulfilling the Orthodox Church is and that your journey will be a pleasant one.

    I converted from a protestant denomination about two years ago, but my journey to Orthodoxy started well before that. Like you I also checked out Celtic Christianity on my way.

    Any way, I look forward to reading more about your journey as you update. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, your prayers and thoughts are greatly appreciated.

      May the Lord Bless you richly!

      Delete
  3. Glory be to Jesus Christ! Jim, this is Father Gary from the church Jim V. has been visiting in his journey to Orthodoxy. I wanted to just advise you that tackling the Philokalia at this stage in your inquiry is not the way to go. I think you will need to familiarize yourself a bit more with the particularly Orthodox terminology, concepts, and approaches that may be "foreign" to you and potentially confusing at this point. I recommend continuing with Ware's "The Orthodox Church," but also recommend "Becoming Orthodox" by (Fr.) Peter Gillquist. The latter book addresses Orthodoxy from the perspective of evangelical Christians who sought the ancient church, found Orthodoxy, and then struggled through some barriers with the result of being accepted into the Church.
    Blessings to you on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Father Gary for the well appreciated advice. I will of course follow your counsel here. I took your advice and have ordered a copy of " Becoming Orthodox " . I look forward to visiting The Church of the Annunciation very, very soon. May you be blessed richly!

      Delete
    2. I read "Becoming Orthodox" a very easy and interesting read. Timothy Ware, on the other hand, takes more concentration...at least with my short attention span! :)

      Delete
  5. welcome to Blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boy! I wish I had friends like you. Whenever I talk about the Orthodox faith my Charismatic type friends they look at me like "Anything but THAT- it's too Catholic". Sigh. It makes me sad. They're looking but refuse to see what is right in front of their face.

    it's so refreshing to find someone who is willing to look down every avenue in order to find the Pearl of great price. May you be richly blessed in your studies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Deb, I do at times get from my friends that "look down at their shoes and shake their head stuff" but, I am not about pleasing man, only God. I have spent the last 4 years or so in a Charismatic church, just never felt comfortable or connected. Last night (1st Orthodox service) and BAMM!! Right now I wish I had found this sooner.

    Thanks for your kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for listing my 10W blog in your links. I pray you find them meaningful in your journey. Blessings from Alaska

    ReplyDelete