Sunday, June 17, 2012

Vespers at Tiffany's


"Moon River, wider than a mile, I'm crossing you in.........."

You know the song.

Well, this past Saturday at Vespers, as I was sitting there, before the service began, in my usual "pre-service meditative" state,  I heard something.

I heard a voice.

A loud and clear voice.

For a moment, as I tried to shake my thoughts from "speaking in prayer" to "hearing the voice", I felt transported, taken away from my surroundings, for a very brief moment it seemed that I didn't know where I was.

The voice was that loud and clear,  it was also puzzling.

I recognized the voice, I have heard this voice, many, many times before. YES! This voice was known to me!

But why was the voice saying, " Sir!,  Sir ?"

The voice was coming from behind me at first, but now it had journeyed right up to me, right next to my right shoulder, right up to the side of the very chair that I was sitting upon. I turned quickly to confront this voice, and there a vision appeared!

A beautiful vision, an adoring vision, a very familiar vision!!!!!

It was my daughter Tiffany.  She thought she would surprise me for Father's Day and join me that evening at Vespers. What a blessing!

I don't know if she was able to tell, but there were a few "Joyful Daddy Tears" in this guy's eyes.
We were able to talk in our best whisper voices before the service began.  When the service began I felt so grateful to have her with me. What a wonderful surprise.

It seems that Jim V. (the sneak) was in on it, that Tiffany would be coming. He never let on about it though, but that's OK, I'll figure out some way to "repay" him. Just before the service started, "The Legendary Tammy" came down the aisle of the nave quickly, she said, "I met your daughter in the parking lot, and I am sorry to interrupt you, but I just wanted to see the look on your face!" I can't blame her, I must have been quite a sight, with my eyes "sweating" !

After service, I had the great joy of introducing Tiffany to some of my new church family. Father Ken, Cathy, Mary, Reader John and Father Gary. They made her feel welcomed and comfortable. You know a father can tell those things about his children. As I was standing there "beaming", Tiffany turned to me and said, " I like it here!"   "Yes, so do I"   I replied, " so do I "

Tiffany's visit gave me a taste of what our Heavenly Father must feel, when His children show Him their love and honor Him. Thank you Father God for your goodness to us.



I know the proper title for this post would have been " Vespers With Tiffany ", but I couldn't find a title for this blog that worked better than a play on the movie title "Breakfast at Tiffany's". So I used it, please forgive me.

"My huckleberry friends............."



16 comments:

  1. "Vespers at Tiffanys!" Ha Ha; NOW I get it. Okay, what can I say, I'm slow!

    It was great to see Tiffany again...I can't remember the last time I saw her. She looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She told me it was great seeing you also! What a wonderful evening, God delivers better and faster than Domino's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was standing in the altar during all of this minding my own business and awaiting the beginning of Vespers, and this is what I experienced...
    I heard an unfamiliar female voice in the church, and I think what this voice said was, "Hey, what's up?"
    I can't say that I hear everything that goes on in the nave of the church when I am in the altar, but I did hear this. When I do hear exchanges between people in the nave, "Hey, what's up" is usually not what I hear. So, when I did hear this greeting, I was compelled to turn my head and look out to see who was issuing the greeting and upon whom the greeting was being bestowed.
    What I saw was a young woman greeting our "new Jim" - "JB" - "Jim Martin" - "Harley guy Jim"... I immediately thought: "Isn't that nice, Jim invited brought his daughter to Vespers." Little did I realize that "Jim" - "Skinny Jim" - "Orthodoxy or Bust Jim" - "Jim V." was behind a plot to surprise his friend with a vesperal visit from Tiffany. I'm happy he was!
    It was wonderful to have Tiffany with us, as it is wonderful to have anyone and everyone in our midst to worship and pray.
    We have been blessed with the presence of our two Jim's, and we were blessed with Tiffany's visit. Come again, Tiffany. The door is always open!
    In Christ,
    Father Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Hey, what's up?" yeah that's my daughter alright! Thanks for the kind words Fr Gary.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Fr Gary, I will see you at Vespers this week.

      Delete
  4. Fr Gary,
    the only part of the plot I had was to keep my big mouth shut! This was all Tiffany's idea and she just inquired of me whether 7pm was a firm start time. I said it was. Even if some of the faithful arrive late, you always start on time.

    I think Tiffany gave JB a great Fathers day gift and it was so nice to see het since it's been years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful surprise indeed (and I got the title immediately ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  6. The explanation of the title was mainly for Jim V. (he's a little slow! LOL!!! only kidding Skinny Jim)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know looking at your photo which is shown to the left of your name here, I think you need to get outdoors a little more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tiffany, if they make this blog into an HBO special, who do you want to play you?

    (by the way, you made my blog too but that isn't as prestigious as this one...)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would not allow this blog to be an HBO special. A series yes, but not a special!

    ReplyDelete