Friday, July 6, 2012

"Wherever I End Up, I Guess..."



Man in car: "Taking a trip?" 
Bronson: "What's that?"
Man in car: "Taking a trip?" 
Bronson: "Yeah."
Man in car: "Where to?" 
Bronson: "Oh, I don't know. Wherever I end up, I guess." 
Man in car: "Man, I wish I was you." 
Bronson: "Well, hang in there."

The light turns green at the intersection of Lombard St. and Van Ness Ave., in San Francisco and Jim Bronson opens the throttle on his 1968 Harley Davidson Sportster and rides off to find, what is out there on the long lonesome highway, while Randall Justaman, the guy in the car goes about his normal daily routine.

Now most of us know that it is the exploits of Bronson that people want to hear about. The carefree spirit out on the road, no schedules to follow, nobody to please, but himself. If he wants to have an ice cream cone for breakfast and wash it down with a Yoo-Hoo followed by a Twinkie, so be it! 

Yet, we are more like Randy Justaman are we not? Routines, commitments, the daily grind and I am not talking about coffee!
Funny thing, is, as I write this, I can't help but think, that somehow a big bunch of us seem to think that there is something wrong with "routine!"

"It's Boring!"
"Un-inspiring!"
"Dull, dull, dull"

"Hey Jim! How's it going?"  "Oh, same old, same old." Tell me that's not a familiar question and response (well except for the name Jim if you happen to have a different handle)

"Another day, another dollar!"   " Same story, different day!"   " Off to the salt mines!"  blah, blah, woof! woof!

But.......

There is a "grace" that comes through when you are practicing the "right routines". That's what I am finding now.
I never felt it before, but I do now.

Like Bronson, I started this "trip" with the destination being "wherever I end up, I guess."
But I am finding that the "right routines " lead a person to the "right destination and a right relationship with God's Church and ultimately  with God." I am finding all of this in Orthodoxy.

Bless the Lord.







1 comment: